Hot Pink on Ice

So, you remember when I posted this about my very first quilt? Well, I lied.

Technically, these quilted bags were my first adult foray into quilting. (I phrase it this way, as its quite possible I did something under supervision growing up seeing as my mother is a fabulous quilter but if I did, I don't remember it.)

As some of you may know, I'm an avid figure skater. What you may not know is that once you get beyond beginners, figure skates start getting Expensive with a capital E.

Its regularly a struggle for skaters to keep their skates looking clean and new. At least, it always was for me growing up. While I had a skate bag that pretty much was dedicated to holding my skates, between all the other various things that would get thrown in there as well as the natural wear and tear on the skates themselves, my skates rarely looked nice and clean.

Much to my joy, when I moved over here to Ireland, a skating friend introduced me to the idea of skate bags- a simple bag for each skate to live in to help keep them clean. They can get expensive quickly, and Ireland doesn't have a great selection anywhere of anything skating related. So 4 or 5 years ago when I got myself new skates and a new skate bag, I thought I'd make my own skate bags to match.

The bag is a simple drawstring. Most of the fabric is cotton, and its lined with a poly-cotton lining that will dry quickly, thus helping keep my skates in better condition. You can find skate bags that have all sorts of poly fluffy blends on the inside, but unless you are guaranteed to get all the water off your skates, I don't think they're the best option as it'll keep the moisture on the leather, which could ruin your skates.

The quilting wasn't the best, as you can see in this shot, with the uneven rows etc, but considering I was doing it free hand, and they do the job they were made for, I quite like them. Years later, my skates are still looking almost, almost like I just bought them. To top it off, I keep getting asked by various skaters where I got them!

Comments

Popular Posts