I'll be honest, I was worried. I'd read up on glove making, but had never done so before. In my reading and in following other costumes on their progress, I kept seeing comments about how finicky and frustrating glove-making could be. So, I was worried.
I have always found gloves to be too long in the fingers for my stubby little hands, so I knew working with a generic glove sloper wasn't going to produce particularly good results for me. So my first task was to create a pattern.
I followed this guide for creating a glove pattern- a latex glove, covered in masking tape/painters tape instead of duct tape as its easier to work with one handed. I followed her guide on how to pattern your cuts, and cut it all out. Then I let it sit there while I panicked about how I hadn't gotten it quite flat and did I cut the hole for my thumb large enough and OH MY GOD ITS GOING TO BE A DISASTER!! (Because, you know, that's how my brain works)
Anyway, when we got back from the States, I knew I couldn't put it off any longer, not if I wanted to get things done by my self-imposed deadline. I had not one, but two costumes planned that involved gloves, so I really needed to sort the pattern out.
In the end, I needn't have worried. I don't know how the guide ended up with a pattern so large it required several alterations, but my first pair fit nearly perfectly. I'd made the set of gloves that would end up fingerless eventually in case I messed things up, but actually, they looked pretty well before I chopped the fingers off.
The second pair I changed things up a little, skipping the flechettes altogether, as I wanted them a little snugger with more width past the wrist. Even they worked out first time although I went back and changed the them slightly once I compared it to reference pics.
And now I have two pairs of self-made gloves. I feel rather accomplished with this, and have vague ideas of making non-costume gloves for myself, but that will have to wait.
I never realized quite how knobby my knuckles were though until now...