Age of Ultron Wanda Maximoff

Photo by Donald Manning
"I can't control their fear, only my own." - Wanda

I’ve always liked Wanda. I think she’s an interesting character, and doesn’t get enough love.  I’ve kind of always wanted to do her, but when I was laid up after major surgery at the end of summer in 2018, I needed something I could pull together with minimal effort. This costume was remarkably easy to pull together, but that may have also been because I didn’t go crazy trying for screen accuracy.

The big thing with Wanda’s costume is naturally the jacket. I didn’t really want to have to alter a moto jacket (most of what I could find in the shops), and I also didn’t really want to have to paint a black jacket fully red. This all just seemed like a lot of effort that I didn’t really need to go to.


So when I stumbled upon an old red jacket for €8 in a charity shop, even though it was a bit too small across the bust. It had some ugly pockets on the front, which thankfully weren’t fully cut out of the base, and I was able to just cut them off.


After doing that to with the pockets, I cut off the sleeves, altering the shape of them to make them tighter at the elbow. And then I just went ham on the paint.


Fun fact! Everyone will tell you that if you put holes in leather or pleather that they are forever, and this is true, but if you hit it with a steaming iron (carefully) the holes will close over and be a lot less noticeable. 

Pointing at previous pocket space that's been hit with an iron.
I also changed the shape of collar by simply cutting it down, folding it in on itself, and topstitching.

I used an acrylic paint that I’ve had in my collection for years, building it up slowly in many thin layers. I used it to cover the random rivets that I couldn’t be bothered to take out, too. If you build in multiple, watery layers you are less likely to end up with cracks, and I’m happy to say that after 2 outings, this looks almost like the day I painted it.



I found out the name of the SA tights that she wears, but considering this was 7 years after the movie, those have been sold out for years and wasn’t going to happen. I hit up a local shop and found a pair of full tights with holes in them. I hadn’t realised they were only on the front, so I ended up taking scissors to the back and sides to make it more cohesive the whole way round. 
The first time I wore the outfit, I just put grey tights underneath and went with it. But I knew this wasn’t that accurate, as hers are knee highs, so for the second time round, I took my grey tights and holed tights and made a pair of long shorts out of flesh coloured stretch fabric. I put them all on, and then tacked the top tights to the shorts and cut them off at an appropriate level. 

Mk1 v Mk2- tights & wig changes

I originally used my Snow White wig from Arda, but I knew it was a bit dark, so when I ended up with a lighter wig from Wigisfashion that didn’t quite make the cut for what I ordered it for, it came out. And looked pretty good, I think.

The last thing I had to make was the arm bracers. Those I cut out of some pleather I had lying around. I did go out and get some gold zippers to install, since my brain couldn’t let me not do that. They were quick and dirty but looked the part.



The rest mostly came from my wardrobe- dress, shoes, jewellery.

There is always one part of a costume that when I put it on, all of a sudden I feel like the character. For Wanda, it was the jewellery.

I do love adding the personal touch. When researching Wanda, I kept getting struck by how much I thought her jewelry collection looked like it was stuff that meant something to her, but probably had come from 90s Claires Accessories. 

Fortunately, I have a lot of 90s Claires Accessories jewelry having grown up with their 10 for $10 sales and I’ve never quite gotten rid of them. I added a few extra pieces that I had that were cool and close to what she had, but I like that most of what I wear is all stuff that I have a story for.



My necklace is one I purchased back in my hippie phase (although I tried to make the jewel red instead of purple). The other necklace has a shell I found, a piece I nearly used on Peggy’s hat, and ribbon from my stash. One of the bracelets is my baby bracelet. Another I won at a carnival stand. The rings include gifts from my now-husband, my actual wedding band, a favourite of mine through high school, and an inherited piece that never properly fit any finger, but works as its supposed to sit on the end of hers. 

Wearing jewelry that means something to me, as I’m sure is the case with Wanda, somehow makes them all feel like they are a part of her power. The grounding in the past. I love wearing these pieces that I have no use for in my daily life anymore, but can’t get rid of for sentimental reasons. 

Wanda Maximoff by Donald Manning

All in all, Wanda has been a lot of fun to wear. I keep considering making her actual dress, but I don’t know how much I’ll wear her in future, so I’m not sure how much sense that makes. But we’ll see.

Comments

Popular Posts