Cosplay Quilting: Agent Carter Quilt Square

I'd been waiting to post this for some time, but it doesn't look like the project is going to go ahead, so here it is anyway. It was a fun little project.

If you had told me that the first crazy quilt square that I would ever finish would be cosplay related, I would have laughed. But it's what happened. Two words I didn't really think I'd be putting together- cosplay and quilting.

My friend Meagan Marie runs the Causeplay Shop- helping the cosplay community give back through various charity drives. Back in the fall of 2015, she and The Cosplay Mom concocted the idea of a "cosplay quilt," essentially, a quilt made of leftover fabric by cosplayers that evoke each individual square.

I immediately signed up to do Agent Carter. Not only do I still love her, but I have quite a bit of spare fabric from Peggy's iconic costume. The design I drafted up pretty quickly, as I knew it needed to be reminiscent of her.


Then it was simply cutting pieces up and putting it all together. 


I made sure to tack each piece to the ground fabric, rather than stitching in the ditch, I sewed each seam first, pressed, and then stitched the seam allowance to the backing material.

Rather than do a typical pieced quilt square, I decided to give it dimension. So I actually made little lapels to fold back, and shirt collars to fold back over that.


All of the fabric is from my stash, mostly Peggy leftovers. The skin toned jersey I picked up for another project and figured I could live without a corner for this.


The only thing I had to purchase was the red felt as I certainly didn't have any spare from my hat and the square just didn't look enough like Peggy without a hat for me to leave it out.


Then I added in the hat and the buttons and voila!


I'm rather pleased how it came out. I sent a photo of the (then uncompleted) quilt square to a friend whose response was "why are you sending me photos of your costume folded up?" so I reckon I managed to capture the look pretty well.

At any rate, I quite like how it came out and it was fun to replicate the aesthetic in a different way.

Comments

Popular Posts