Snow White Incidentals


Fabric is always a stickler for me and most of my costumes only come about once I've finally found the right fabrics as I'm so bloody picky. I got lucky and got some of the screen accurate jacket material, which I believe is now sold out. I panicked and bought it when I heard the store was getting low on it, and it sat in my closet for a while. I then spent probably the guts of 3 years looking for the right fabrics to go with it. 


I have to congratulate myself on my colour matching in my head. When I finally pulled out all the fabrics I was pleasantly surprised by the perfect mix of colors and textures that I managed having bought each piece entirely separate from other pieces in three different countries. I probably should have taken swatches, but I fail at that way too often.


The pants are two fabrics- a darker stretch knit for the backside, and a microsuede non-stretch for the front. The stretch in the back means you can still have a very tight leg and be able to move without significant difficulty. I actually just used my favourite pair of yoga pants as a pattern for these, and I’m super happy with how comfortable they came out. I think I'll add a pocket somewhere in future upgrades.

The boots are a charity shop find. I know Snow's SA boots don't have a heel, but I don't feel right without a heel for costumes. These were the right color and at €5 how could I resist?

The shirt underneath I originally made out of plain cotton, but when I realised that the binding wasn’t going to be the ivory I wanted it to be, I remade it with a sturdier, ivory cotton.

I did not follow a pattern for this really. I was short on the cotton, so knowing that it would be warm at the con, I made shortened sleeves with extra flounce in them so that they would have plenty of fluffiness to stick out between the arm and the jacket pieces. I also added extra fluffiness to the front of the shirt so it would look right under the jacket edged with bias tape made from the same cotton.

The belt took me a lot longer to put together than I intended. I couldn't decide what colours I wanted behind it. Originally, I had planned on having the same fabric as the skirt, but that was actually a relatively thick stretch drill. The stretch it made it less than ideal for the belt, but it was also a bit darker than I wanted it to be.


I wanted the belt to be darker than the jacket, but not quite that dark. I went back and forth and tried a bunch of combinations to see what would work. The silver is just a cheap silver mesh fabric, and I knew it would change how the fabric looked, so I mocked up a couple of options.


The problem was that the colours looked different again when I added the leather binding.



The final version is actually the same ivory cotton as the shirt. Just enough to be darker than jacket so it still stood out, but it wasn't as dark as the stretch drill. I'm not entirely sure that it didn't end up too light, but it looked ok in pictures.

The silver pieces in front were cheap brooches I bought on eBay. I wanted them to be slightly larger than the belt, as I feel that's what Snow's does, so I actually made the belt after I bought them. Even then, it wasn't right. I'm convinced that the  filigree on Snow's belt is actually like 3 circles together like you'll find on a barrette, but I couldn't find any that looked right.


So in the end, I bought 6 individual brooches. I broke pieces off some of them to make them fit together better. I didn't like how they stood off the belt so I broke off the clasps and sewed them on to the belt which I'm much happier with. I also didn't like the how bright silver they were, so in a last minute freak out, I took silver nail polish to it which dulled them down to closer to the reference.

The gloves are real vintage kid gloves I found in a local shop. I sadly ripped the finger tip trying to take them off after freezing during a photoshoot at the con, but I love that they match so nicely. However, I also found that they lose their whiteness with any sort of wetness which makes me sad because they are beautiful.

In the end, everything that wasn't the jacket was came together pretty easily. It all worked first time without me having to do much in the way of alterations, and thankfully just worked.

Photo by Youshotmedown_Photography
Regina by Inspire Cosplay
I'd like to take her out to a forest with a bow and arrows sometime, but that's for another day. For now she's resting....

Photo by Kewelworld

Comments

Popular Posts